about the tween book blog

This is the place to be for reviews of Tween and YA books! And, best of all, it is written by a 13-year-old who knows the perspective of tweens and teens!

Tuesday 21 March 2017

American Monsters

American Monsters by Derek Landy

Amber is back, but not she is Astoraths representative. With this in mind, Amber becomes even more determined to find, and kill, her parents. Add this to Milo, Kelly, Glen, the Dark Places convention and more, and things start to get hectic. And it's not like Amber even likes the Shining Demon...

This might just be one of my favourite series ever. Yes, better than Skullduggery Pleasent by the same author (although my brother would disagree😂). I think the reason I like the books so much is because all three of them are full of the same witty banter. The back and forth dialogue between the characters really is just great. At the beginning, Amber, the protagonist, is managing to have a funny conversation, whilst a crazy animal lays its egg on her. And it works! Another thing I like is the fact that the book is a bit like a literary rollercoaster. It goes from one thing to another in the blink of an eye, or the turn of a page. One second they are being chased by a crazy chainsaw wielding maniac, and the next second they are back on the road. And it works because that is the whole point of the book. It's meant to be a bumpy ride. If only one thing happened, the entire thing would be really boring, and that is really what you don't want with a book. Another cool thing that I like about it is the supernatural feel to it. I mean, REAL LIFE DEMONS!!!!!!!!(insert a thousand more exclamation marks)!!!!! And there are so many of these supernatural ocurrances, you begin to believe in them. And can I just say don't read the book at night if you are prone to nightmares. You really won't have nice dreams of candy floss if you read American Monsters. To be honest, that is my only piece of criticism, but you should probably take note of it as IT REALLY IS REALLY VERY SCARY. So, don't say I didn't warn you. Actually, there was one more thing I didn't like, which was the end. I won't spoil it, but you might end up in floods of tears i you are as emotional as I am. But apart from those two points, it was REALLY REALLY VERY GOOD.

I am going to give it a 10/10
And an age rating of 13+

No comments:

Post a Comment