about the tween book blog

This is the place to be for reviews of Tween and YA books! And, best of all, it is written by a 13-year-old who knows the perspective of tweens and teens!

Saturday 2 February 2019

Unboxed by Non Pratt

Hello Blog!

This is my first post in almost a year and hasn't it gone fast. But I thought that I might try and get back to updating this blog, and see where it goes.

So here we go, the tween book blog's first blog post of 2019.

Unboxed by Non Pratt

Five best friends hid a box when they were 13. Five years later, four of them return to open it, overshadowed by the death of the fifth.

I read this book for a book club at school, and to be honest I probably wouldn't have finished it if I didn't have to. Unboxed is short, promising secrets and lies to come spilling out, however, the book has decisively few of these. Whilst I'm not going to tell you what they were (no spoilers, duh), I think that most people that read the book will be somewhat underwhelmed.

I think that my other main issue with Unboxed was the fact that very little actually happened in the book. I'm the sort of person who needs at least a little bit of action to happen in a book, and I found my self getting somewhat bored. The main characters didn't really have to overcome any challenges, and the few that they did have to lasted for three pages at most. Having said that, the main character did have to overcome one main "challenge",  coming out to her friends, which took the entire book. The issue was, it took so long for her to get to the point, in a book where little else happened, that I found I didn't care the outcome by the end.

Having said all that, Unboxed wasn't all bad. The idea of a dead friend bringing all of these ex-friends back together was one that worked quite well, I thought. However, despite what the blurb says, very little time was spent on Millie. She was almost used as a plot device to get all her friends together, and then vaguely forgotten about until right at the end when a letter of hers was read out. I think if more had been developed about her relationship with the rest of the group, the book might have been better.

I am going to give the book a 5/10
and an age rating of 13+


No comments:

Post a Comment